Monday, April 7, 2014

Warmachine Bat Rep: Cygnar vs Retribution


Our Warmachine obsession continues this week with a 25 point Cygnar vs Retribution game. The store was so full of 40k players we weren't able to get one of the nice tables. That wouldn't deter us though. We set up on the only other table available. We called it "The Disc of Death".

My List (Cygnar):

Major Victoria Haley
  • Ironclad 
  • Squire 
Arcane Tempest Gun Mages (Leader and 5 Grunts)
  • Arcane Tempest Gun Mage Officer
Black 13th Gun Mage Strike Team
Journeyman Warcaster
  • Charger
Professor Victor Pendrake

Makers List (Retribution of Scyrah):

Garryth, Blade of Retribution
  • Chimera 
  • Griffon 
  • Phoenix
Mage Hunter Strikeforce (Leader and 5 Grunts)
  • Mage Hunter Commander 
Arcanist
Narn, Mage Hunter of Ios 


Yes, his list is 26 points. Yes, he needs to learn how to math.


He won the roll to go first and this is how he ended after his turn 1. Sadly for him he forgot to shoot his Mage Hunter Strike Force at my Arcane Tempest Gun Mages. A mistake he would certainly regret.


During my turn the Black 13th moved up and took out Narn with extreme prejudice before he could get to my Journeyman Warcaster. My Ironclad charged and killed a Mage Hunter and the Arcane Tempest Gun Mages moved up and killed the rest of the unit using Deadeye from Haley. The Professor shot at the Griffon and knocked it down while the Charger used it's special shots to nearly kill it.



His Chimera Charged my Charger and destroyed his hammer arm making it very difficult for me to ever kill it. His Griffon stood up. His Phoenix charged my Ironclad and just pooped all over his cheerios, lighting him on fire and Nearly Killing him. His Arcanist and Garryth moved up.



In my turn I foolishly charged the Chimera with my Journeyman Warcaster and did nothing. The Ironclad did some minor damage to the Phoenix. The Professor attempted to knock down the Griffon again and failed. The Arcane Tempest Gun Mages moved up to shoot at Garryth for the assassination victory, but I foolishly forgot to fire them. I also moved the Black 13th up to shoot Garryth but forgot to fire them as well. I'm still too caught up in the rules from 40k to remember to take all of my actions during my activation phase instead of moving everything, shooting, then assaulting. Sadly I missed my opportunity to win the game because of my poor memory.


I would pay for my mistakes this turn as the Phoenix would use Combustion to kill the Ironclad and a few Gun Mages. The Chimera smashed the Journeyman Warcaster in to goo rendering the Charger inert. The Griffon moved up to confront the Professor. Garryth and The archaist moved back toward the ruins


The only thing I could do was retreat with Haley towards my board edge. The Black 13th moved to take shots on Garryth doing some damage but failing to kill him. The remaning Arcane Tempest Gun Mages took shots but failed.

His Phoenix would kill the the remaining Gun Mages and a combination of shots from Garryth himself and the Chimera charging would take out the Black 13th.

At this point I only had Haley and her Squire left so I tried to make a suicide assassination run on his caster only to fail killing him by, I think, 3 HP's. After that he charged Haley with Garryth and easily chopped her into bits.


The number one lesson we learned about this game was to ALWAYS remember to shoot your guys. It would have been a very different game had he remembered to shoot at me with his Mage Hunters turn 1 or if I had remembered to fire my Gun Mages and Black 13th on turn 2.  All in all, a great and fun game. Can't wait to play my next.

No comments:

Post a Comment