Thursday, February 20, 2014

40k Battle Report: Tau vs Necrons



First week of league was last Thursday and I was paired up against Necrons.

Deployment was Dawn of War, Mission was Relic.

My List: 
Commander - Puretide Engram Neurochip, Multispectrum Sensor Suite, Command and Control Node
Ethereal
6 Firewarriors
6 Firewarriors
6 Firewarriors
5 Pathfinders
5 Pathfinders
Riptide - Ion Accelerator, SMS, Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector
Riptide - Ion Accelerator, TL Fusion, Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector
Riptide - Ion Accelerator, TL Plasma, Early Warning Override, Stimulant Injector
3 Broadsides - High Yield Missile Pods, Twinlinked SMS, 6 Missile Drones
Aegis Defense Line and a Quad Cannon

His List: 
Overlord - Weave, Scythe, Mindshackle
10 Warriors on foot
10 Warriors on foot
10 Immortals
6 Wraiths
5 Deathmarks
1 Annihilation Barge
1 Triarch Stalker
1 Doomsday Ark
1 Doom Scythe

I won the roll and chose to deploy and go first.



I castled up on my side of the board with the drones up front, Broadsides behind them, and the Ethereal on the Quad Cannon.

1 unit of Firewarriors to the left and 1 the right.
2 Riptides to the left behind the hill in case he stole initiative, and the other to the right.

2 units of Pathfinders to the right.

3rd unit of Firewarriors in reserve.

He spread out trying to use his cover as best he could.

My warlord trait was Through Unity, Devastation. (re-roll 1's)
His was that his Warlords unit could Outlflank, which is huge for the wraiths.

He did not steal Initiative.

Pathfinders move into the middle rocks on their scout move.

Tau Turn 1:
A few Marker Lights on the Immortals and one unit of his Warriors

I moved one Riptide in front of my lines hoping to get some shoots on Stalker or Barge.

I put Tank Hunter on the Broadsides, and the Doomsday Ark went poof.

Shooting from the Riptides took out almost all of his Warriors, but half of them get back up.

One unit of Firewarriors take down a few immortals thanks to marker lights.

Riptides move a little back into cover during assault moves.


Necrons Turn 1:
He brings the Stalker and Barge around my left flank and takes out a few of my Firewarriors.

The Immortals manage to take out a couple pathfinders in the group on the right, and his remaining warriors kill the other unit of Pathfinders completely.


Tau Turn 2:
My 3rd unit of Firewarriors arrive from reserve, and I bring them in behind my lines.

The Riptides with Plasma and Fusion, Nova Charge and move to the left side of the board to take care of the Barge and Stalker. Shooting from them would drop the Barge, but not the Stalker.

The 2 pathfinders refused to give up and managed to put 2 flashlights on the Immortals.

The Broadsides would use those to kill the entire unit.


Necrons Turn 2:
All his reserves come in.

Deathmarks drop in behind my riptides
Scythe comes almost right up to my Defense Line.
Wraiths and Overlord outflank.

The Ethereal on the Quad Cannon would immediately destroy the Scythe thanks to Tank Hunter from Puretide Engram Chip on the Commander.


The Riptides then removed 3 Deathmarks, and cause One wound on the Wraiths.

One unit of his warriors move up and grab the relic.

His Stalker caused one wound on the Riptide in front and that was about it for his turn.


Tau Turn 3:
I move all my drones over between the broadsides and his Wraiths.

I activate Storm of Fire on the Ethereal, and my Warlord Trait.

I shoot everything I have into the wraiths and remove all of them except for the overlord who takes no wounds.

I ignore everything else he has for now because if he ties up my broadsides it will be far more difficult for me to win.


Necrons Turn 3:
He fires off another shot from the Stalker but it does nothing.

His Warriors do nothing to my Riptide.

He Assaults in the Overlord to my Broadsides, but then dies to the massive amount of overwatch.


Tau Turn 4:
At this point is was pretty much over.

My Drones moved back up front for protection.

2 Riptides took out his remaining Warriors.

Firewarriors in the back took out the Remaining Deathmarks.

Other Unit of Firewarriors move towards the Relic.

I declared that the 3rd Riptide would then assault his Stalker and we called it at that point.


After game thoughts:
I really need to finish painting my Tau...


Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. sounds like a strong showing for the Tau. Next month I am finally going to get to use them. I only have the rail broadsides and 1 riptide though so I have a feeling I will not be as well off as you. GG though and thanks for the battle report.

    ReplyDelete